Saturday, November 18, 2006

Fire up my magic carpet; everybody is singing Weill these days ...

Michigan Avenue yesterday, from my magic carpet.



Todays Arts, Breifly reports on an exciting production that has just been announced as the final production of Manhattan Theater Company's 2006 - 2007 season. I'd love to see this. I need to figure out a way to get paid to be in NYC for extended visits. I love my Chicago, medium hot city, life. And I'm booked (holding my breath) through summer '07 here in Chicago. So weekend magic carpet rides seem to be necessary at least until then.

"...Manhattan Theater Company’s production of “LoveMusik,” the new musical about the marriages (two, separated by a few years) of Kurt Weill to Lotte Lenya. The show, written by Alfred Uhry, uses Weill’s music and is being directed by Harold Prince. It is scheduled to begin previews in mid-April at the Biltmore Theater, and to open on May 3. Michael Cerveris will play Weill, Donna Murphy - Lenya, and David Pittu - Bertolt Brecht..."

Thank you Ravinia for giving me Michael Cerveris in Sunday in the Park with George, Anyone Can Whistle and Passion... Chicago does rock. But I also can't wait to see Kurt Weill's Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny in LA in Feb... Magic carpet me there.

4 comments:

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

I'm looking forward to seeing David Pittu again -- I saw him in Alfred Uhry's collaboration with Jason Robert Brown, Parade, several years ago. He made quite an impression on me with a great performance.

Sarah B. Roberts said...

I am over the moon about this theatre news - I saw it early yesterday morning and can hardly think of anything else. It is going to be S-E-X-Y!

Anonymous said...

cannot wait for this -- love them both.

Unknown said...

You sound like somebody who should come to Los Angeles in January to see Audra MacDonald and Patti Lupone in the LA Opera production of CITY OF MAHAGONNY!