Sunday, November 12, 2006

Finding NPR from Olando to Chicago


The plane ride was uneventful I guess. Southwest has great prices, and I imagine the cattle drive seating idea somehow keeps prices lower. My "A Seating" ticket afforded me the right to board after the Military folks, people with small children and "special needs" travelers. I had about 3 seconds to choose my seat after I rounded the bulkhead. Pick your poison. I chose the 3rd from the front, isle seat next to two elderly, super - sized sisters. They were fine, relatively quiet. Terrified of the landing though. Bea and Angie. From Wisconsin. I smiled as much as I could, did my best to be as social as I could muster until I eventually buried myself in Film Comment Magazine. 2 1/2 hours. It really wasn't horrible.

The prize was my father. He was waiting at baggage claim, with a smile, a hug, a lovely lunch at the Hyatt and keys to a very early 1990's Honda which has been coddled and cared for through each of its 50,000 miles. Not a speck of rust, nor a tear of it's tan interior. Deep, dark, ocean blue exterior. Brilliant. New tires, sunroof... I could go on. And I will.

She drives like a pro. And the window and radio controls are cool. Tape deck. I will have to dig out my old cassettes...

1,200 miles...


18 hours driving time. A sleep at Days Inn in Tennessee.



Suffered through Prairie Home Companion this morning.
Found NPR stations the whole way North.

And, before the sun set, I was back in Chicago.

No comments: