Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My back door...

I rarely exit my building through its front door. I have no less than four options of building departure and arrival, not counting the most popular choice - the parking garage beneath the building. The buildings front door is by far its most gracious entry. The lobby is modest, immaculate, industrial and very minimally but elegantly appointed. One front door visitor remarked to me "you have a real entrance here! Makes me feel that somebody actually thought about it..." I put to use the front door mainly for two purposes... to accept delivered dining and to mark the beginnings and ends of daily walks during the Spring, Summer and Fall. The parking garage is my most prevalent form of egress. Its automatic door, reserved parking space and inherent, concrete weather shield may not be cinematic, but I admit to still being awed by the luxury of it all.... far more luxurious that my elegantly appointed lobby. The back door is my favorite. Its use makes me feel low profile. Unexpected exit. My building mates and I utilize our back door rarely. Occasionally, during Bears season, a handful of residents gather at our back door to watch the fireworks over Soldier Field. Daylight brings an urban view to my back door. The Sears Tower looms over the South Loop like a giant sun dial. Recently, I began to notice that I will have to rely on my own sense of place when exiting and entering my back door...

No comments: