Saturday, December 02, 2006

Sorry Grateful

As Ravinia announces their 2007 summer season, I am noticing a lack of Sondheim amongst the musical productions. Frank Loesser's The Most Happy Fella, starring George Hearn, sounds good to me. It's certainly worth the trip out to Ravinia. But... it doesn't make my heart stop and sing with giddy expectation the way it has for each of the past seasons announcements at Ravinia.

This time last year I clicked on Ravinia's home page to see what magical Sondheim event was planned and literally stood up and gasped when I saw Gypsy was announced with Patti Lupone as Rose. That night at Ravinia... with Patti as Rose, Jessica Boevers as Louise, Paul Gemigani directing the world class Chicago Symphony Orchestra behind them, Lonny Price at the helm... was simply the most full, enriching, fully realized, soaring theatrical event I have ever experienced. The actual Magritte-blue sunset was the perfect backdrop... as if the whole Gypsy at Ravinia was an Event within the EVENT. Ravinia itself became part of why none of us will ever forget the perfect weekend that was. Even the cicadas added to the drama.
Just three performances... I feel so grateful to have been there.

All of us, including the performers and creatives, are better for what Ravinia has given us with its Sondheim Series.

Passion, A Little Night Music, Sweeney Todd, Sunday in the Park with George, Anyone Can Whistle, Gypsy...

Patti Lupone, Michael Cerveris, Audra McDonald... George Hearn, Paul Gemigani, Lonny Price... SONDHEIM.

Patti amazed me and moved me every season. Her Fosca still moves me, even on youtube. And Michael Cerveris... we were sooo lucky.

3 comments:

Sarah B. Roberts said...

Oh honey, I understand. I so understand. I went to Chicago for George and for Patti and of course it all had to do with Sondheim. But, Loesser and Most Happy Fella? I don't really think so.

Bob said...

I stood up and gasped for entirely different reasons this year upon announcement of Hearn and "Most Happy Fella." And to think that Patti, at the JCC benefit concert, was so hopeful that it wasn't over...yet.

Hopefully they are just taking a break, what with Patti in London, Cerveris playing Weil and Lonny directing Audra in 110 this summer.

We'll only have to wait and see.

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

I'll also miss Sondheim and the triumvirate of musical greats who have made Ravinia such a treat over the last few years.

But "Most Happy Fella" is a pretty nice little musical (I saw the last Broadway revival back in 1992 with Sophie Hayden, Spiro Malas, Scott Waara and Liz Larsen and found it to be an unexpected delight), and George Hearn is an incredible talent, so Ravinia is fortunate to have him.

A little trivia: "I Love Lucy" fans will recognize this Loesser work from an episode built entirely around the Ricardos and Mertzes excited about going to see this Broadway show in the 50s.

Hopefully Patti et al can return in 2008! But I don't think I'll miss "Most Happy Fella."