Saturday, October 28, 2006

New Telly!

Today my first adult, self purchased television was delivered.
I remember my 16 inch color TV from my parents bedroom in the 1980's! It's made by Panasonic, nice and small (and I happen to like nice and small) and owes me nothing. I inherited it from my parents 10 years ago. It has been my main "living room" TV for the last few years. Although its size and age are laughable, especially for someone in the business that I'm in, I haven't been able to justify spending a couple of grand on the new Panasonic 40 inch flat screen that would look so pretty hanging on my wall. Plus the little telly worked fine, thank you. So I've lived with the '80's heirloom that fit so unobtrusively on the old blanket chest.
Here is the 16 incher on the old tool chest, post new telly...



The picture on the old telly started to turn green about a week ago... then really dark green. After muttering a few bad Wicked jokes to myself, off to Best Buy, Sears and Circuit City I went... I still couldn't bring myself to spend more than $1,000 on a TV, so I considered small, 27 inch or less old fashioned tube models. Of course, these days, I want Widescreen and HD... so my choices were limited. Even more limited when I started to measure how deep these mothers are; no way would any of these new models fit on the blanket chest where it belongs. Enter Samsung and their Slimfit line. Still a tube TV, but considerably less deep.

3 models to choose from. I chose the 30 inch widescreen, HD model. And well under $1,000 including tax, delivery and set up. Circuit City had the best deal. Surly delivery scheduler though. The actual guys delivering the 96 pound box were courteous and capable. But ridiculously early.

I'm happy with my purchase. Like a few things, I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner.





Being Julia was on today. I thought I might identify with Annette Benning and I did, kinda. But she never totally had me. Fantastic Locations tho. Filmed in the UK and Hungary. Hungarian director. Great Set Dec., Wardrobe, Design, Art Direction, lighting... Mildly heavy handed editing I thought.


It takes up the whole chest but it fits! It's 16 inches deep, the blanket chest - 17 inches deep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! I've been on the lookout for the exact same thing in the last couple of weeks.

Isn't it rich...? said...

Now I have to gear up for the DirecTv HD-DVR that is way more money than it should be... but even the regular DirecTv signal works so much better than I'm use to on my old telly, so I'm thrilled!