Sunday, May 11, 2008

happy Mothers Day

I love you Mumbo

You have given me the quiet purpose and steady support to build myself in to myself. Thank you, also, for the sense of humor and the knowledge that questions are the answer.
You've given me things that I miss terribly, (like being an expert downhill skier and being able to jump my own, five foot two, height - horseback) but I feel richer for your teachings and your bravery for letting me try.
The things I curse you for - my hair, the constant desire to rearrange my furniture - turn out to be not so bad.
My only regret is that you live thousands of miles away and I can't pop over with my ironing because I still refuse to buy an ironing board. Speaking of popping over, I still have fantasies about your perfectly golden brown, over-sized, crispy... yet moist and steam laden on the inside, buttery, POPOVERS. I remember a simple recipe from some mainstay Cookbook. Could it be that you just followed the recipe, owned the right pan, paid attention to it, cooked it just slightly longer than prescribed, and delivered it with grace, flair and love?
Hmmmm. Sounds like a recipe for life.


Below is a video (rights - ABC television, 1989) of two lovely ladies that you introduced me to back in the day. Julie Andrews and Carol Burnett singing "Mommas Alright". Happy Mothers Day. I love you.




No comments: